Wednesday, May 21, 2008

sister, oh sister

A crazy friend I met in Buenos Aires as he carefreely nomaded his way across South America, photographer colorstraordinaire Dan of danzim and urbanatural.sh, regularly sends out some of his pretty sweet photos.

Dan usually likes to play around with lights and words, messing with things like f-stop, ISO, shutter speed and probably many other things I've forgotten in the thirteen years since I took a photography class in high school. And then sometimes he does some minor post-snap work. In any event, he regularly does cool things like this [click all photos for larger images]:

And this:


I usually find his stuff to be somewhere between photography/design icon Ed Ruscha and lights fantastic photographer and designer Chuck Anderson, aka NoPattern [you've seen Chuck's work all over, just never known it].

But in the latest installment from last week, he played like one of les freres Lumieres and simply caught one tiny moment of everyday life. Below is the masterpiece, unofficially titled what happens when you fall in San Juan.

I can't stop laughing at this picture. It's brilliant. I think I found it even funnier because the copy I received was about seventeen times bigger than the screen, so I saw it piece by piece, first seeing the hermana caida [fallen sister], and then the hermana perra sonriendo [laughing bitch sister]. I can relate-- my big sister would have reacted in the same exact manner.

And so here's a bunch of songs in the theme of the photo.

Sufjan Stevens - Sister
New Young Pony Club - Ice Cream
Muscles - Ice Cream
Interpol - Evil
Menomena - Evil Bee
Colin Meloy - Sister I'm a Poet [Morrissey cover]
Urge Overkill - Sister Havana
Weezer - Troublemaker
Lil Kim - Queen Bitch 101
Bangers 'n' Cash - Bitch
Teiam Player - Kid Sister on my Shoulders

And yes, I did eventually note that she's holding some sort of candied apple or something and not ice cream. Oh well. I already had the ice cream songs uploaded and posted. Besides, the only apple song I could think of was "Bonita Applebum", and you can find that on someone else's blog.

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Randomly popped onto your site and "lurked" around...Just curious as to what you're nationality is? The little bits of spanish I read are pretty witty....



_someone you don't know/Natalia.