Thursday, November 8, 2007

Indie Kid's Dance Party Jukebox Guide [a mini-tutorial]

Wanna have a dance party? Well then you need to invite the boys from Soulwax/2 Many DJs into your house. I've always used Soulwax's amazing mash-up mixes soundtrack my dance parties, which usually get pretty wild.... and then my upstairs neighbors would stomp on the floor, I'd realize it's 3.30am and so I'd stop the record, chug a glass of water and slip into my bed.

Breaking out some of the best mash-ups I've ever heard, back when Gregg Gillis was studying for his SATs [ok, in all reality he's only two years younger than me], and before the Erlend Oye DJ Kicks mix album hit the floors, Soulwax was all you needed. And then came along Night Ripper. And now, if you have the tolerance or stamina to skip through the misses, there's The Hood's mixtape.

Well now it's the Dewaele brothers' turn once again, with the proper release of almost all of their wonderful remixes packaged together nicely in a two-disc set. Go buy the damn thing, and dance like like you have ants in your pants. The best part about the set is that the second disc is a mix album, which of course is what I suggest you use those nights when you clear everything out of the living room.

I've had trouble finding it for sale online, and I don't have the actual CDs because I'm waiting for the vinyl release [in the event I ever come completely out of DJ retirement]. So your best bet is to try here or here if you really want the thing.

In the meantime, enjoy these couple tunes. Soulwax totally crash Daft Punk's house in their rework of LCD's 2005 kickoff. Make a list of all the Daft Punk tunes which appear in this and we'll compare notes. Whoever loses has to buy me a Belgian ale, in the spirit of the Belgian Dewaeles. Don't be deterred by the fact that I'm giving a Robbie Williams tune. I first heard this at a club in Argentina, where Robbie is like JT-- only bigger-- and after that first time if I stepped in and out of a club without hearing it, I felt as though my night was incomplete.

LCD Soundsystem - "Daft Punk is Playing at My House" (Soulwax Shibuya Re-remix)
Robbie Williams - "Lovelight" (Soulwax Ravelight Dub)

No comments: