Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Pale Young Gents Get Forked

Thanks to Muzzle of Bees for the word about the Pale Young Gentlemen record review over at Pitchfuck. Bitchfork. Pitchfork, sorry.

If you want to read it, go right ahead. But I can sum it up:

They give it a respectable 6.9, which is definitely better than this classic review, and better than [but not quite as funny as] this one too, and a whole 1/10 point higher than music as a whole, as reported by The Onion. Wonderful!

Oh yeah, a summation:

They indirectly pick on the little group from Madison, for being.... well, a little group from Madison [no, we can't all be from Austin or Brooklyn or Omaha or Seattle or Bergen or.. wherever all those awesome French electro guys are from]. They liken the Gents to Beirut and Gogol Bordello and, sort of, Coldplay's Chris Martin and-- even more sort-of-- Panic! at the Disco. All in all, it's a decent little review and I don't think the Gents should be upset with a 6.9 from the hegemonic power that is PF.

But really, who cares what they say? I'm just telling y'all cause I think it's awesome exposure for our local guys [although a quick search in The Hype Machine shows that they are getting plenty of online exposure].

And as much as I take digs at Pitchfork, of course you'll still find their link in that section somewhere over there to the right. A weakness indeed. At least I'm not quite this opinionated and blunt.

A PYGents download or two to come.... soon, perhaps. Check back.

If you're not so lucky to find it down your local shop, go buy the wonderful Pale Young Gentlemen album, Pale Young Gentlemen, here.

.

In slightly related stuffs, there's a pretty cool editorial over at Idolator [which is quickly becoming a favorite stop of mine; look for it right above the Pitchfork link in that section somewhere over there to the right] recently [October] published a Real Talk Special Report [subtitled: The Black Kids Hype Must Be Stopped]. I agree with it in a large number of ways, not the slightest of which is that The Black Kids really aren't very good, no matter how many blogs you read say they are and no matter how ironic they try to be ["I'm Not Going To Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You" is sposedta be their breaking out hit] and no matter how many times you slip into some tight jeans and listen to it and try to dance to it.

Anyway, the Idolator article really is not so much about how The Black Kids suck as it is about music/mp3 blogs and hype and all that jazz that I rambled on about several days ago. Maybe I'm just a big musicmedia dork, or maybe it's this damn blog I just started or maybe it's the media effects class I'm taking now-- something is making me really excited about all of this talk and I find it all really interesting. Anytime you feel the need to share your thoughts, I'll be here.

You don't have to take my word for it; go get The Black Kids EP Wizard of Ahhs [oh, gag me with a pitchfork] for free from their website.

Yep, I think I've covered it all.

.

No comments: