Friday, November 9, 2007

TV Digressions

I had a feeling that I'd turn to here to start expressing my recent turn towards TV. I grew up in a house without cable all of my life. When my sister and I were impressionable, our dad paid us $100 each summer if we didn't watch any TV. Easy money. People'd say well you coulda just gone over to your friends' houses but we never did; didn't care. I carried that impartiality towards or disinterest in TV all the way through until recently, for the most part. Sure, I'm a Seinfeld freak, and I've been known to plop down on the couch and veg out to reruns, but not until the past few months have I ever watched so much TV.

This day I think it is a perfect time to watch, if there is any, with all of the technology out there. I still only actually tune in to a TV broadcast once a week, if that [to watch Thursday's 30 Rock, The Office, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia]; everything [to include those three] I'm able to download and watch at my own convenience.

Anyway, I bring all of this up because I think I'll probably be mentioning TV more and more in this space. I'm taking a TV class right now, and it's just more and more a part of my almost-everyday life. I'm not ashamed to say there is a lot of good TV out there right now. I'm also still very proud to disagree with dorm room- and living room-fulls of people and say that there's lots of horrible TV out there right now--the majority of it, I believe. I'd give a list of both, but most likely I'll be airing a lot of my thoughts in the upcoming days.

I wanted to give you one of the many great lines I hear on 30 Rock each week [Tina Fey is a wicked retarded genius], because out of context I'm sure it's just as funny as it was when I heard it last night. But of course I forgot it already.

Oh yeah-- and Al Gore was on last night's 30 Rock. How fricking awesome was that? And how awesome was it that he actually killed? It could have only been better if he used it to announce his candidacy.

No comments: